Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: An easeir way? *LINK*
Response To:
An easeir way? ()

steve voigt
"The problem with a glass substrate is that glass is too hard. The abrasive doesn't embed in the glass and become fixed."

Bill,
Yes, that is true. The problem is easily solved with psa-backed plastic laminate sheets. They last a long time and save your glass. See link at bottom.

"I still find it astonishing that the superior properties of a diamond abrasive are used to flatten rocks which are in turn used for sharpening, rather than cutting out the middle man and using diamond to begin with."

I've tried diamond stones and diamond paste. Even with a "super" or "extra" fine stone, the deep scratches it puts into my blades are horrifying. Moving to diamond paste, this tendency (of making very deep scratches) necessitates using a very fine paste, say 1 or 2 micron, for final honing. As a result, final honing with paste is, for me, no faster than on an Arkansas stone. The paste also lacks the tactile feedback of a stone. As a result, I simply don't enjoy sharpening with diamonds, the way I do on oilstones. Since I spend a lot of time sharpening, it's important to me that it not be an unpleasant activity.

I'm not interested in trying to persuade anyone to use oilstones, but perhaps this will help you understand why not everyone is in love with diamonds. As John Aniano pointed out above, there is more than one way to do things.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081