Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
OT: Backyard wildlife - the world at war *PIC*

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA
Well, maybe not at war...

The motion detectors for the light on our back entrance gate failed in a very creative way, which motivated me to get around, finally, to adding a second light and second motion detector. I installed the existing light and detector eight or so years ago, inside a covered structure built by our son that shelters the back gate, and I wanted a light out on the driveway side, and a detector that would pick up traffic coming up the driveway.

I did the work for the second light and detector, using the same kinds of liquid-tight plastic fittings I'd used before, with metal single-gang boxes thrown in because I don't really like plastic boxes; then set up the ladder to tie these into the existing wiring (which is cleverly concealed behind the Arts & Crafts framing). When I climbed the ladder, I found this:

Apparently, there's something in those plastic fittings that tastes like chocolate to the mice, rats, or squirrels in our yard; Mitch at the hardware store offered the firm professional opinion that it probably wasn't gophers.

This led to a course correction and an extra day's work; all the installation that's out of sight for those lights is now in metal. I was reminded that liquid-tight flexible metal conduit finds the "flexible" part of its name kind of amusing, but only had to try the most difficult box-to-box conduit run three ways to get it connected. We now have improved lights, and I'll be watching the exposed plastic very closely for signs of attack.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081