Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Sharpton Stone question

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I do not have any experience with water stones. I was gifted a Sharpton 120 Professional stone. No idea where it was bought or I would return it for credit on something I know about. Anyway, I sharpen as follows: hollow grind with power wheel, followed by "Fine" fixed diamond plate then 1 micron loose diamond on cast iron. For those with experience, do you see some way this stone would beneficially fit into my sharpening regime? I also sharpen kitchen knives, but this grit seems a bit coarse to be useful for knives.?.

And....included was a 8000 Norton water stone. Would this stone be equivalent to the 1 micron diamond? Or, to put it another way, is this the finest/last grit one would use in a sequence? Is it overkill fine?

An improvement I see in my sharpening would be to use 15 micron loose diamond after the hollow grind. Loose 15 micron diamond cuts much faster than my "Fine" fixed plate. I am reluctant to follow the 15 micron loose with 1 micron loose for worry about carry-over of the 15 micron grit to the 1 micron plate. Would it be practical to follow loose 15 micron with the 8000 Norton stone, assuming the Norton stone will cut abrasion resistant tool steel (probably not?).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081