Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Cut-off wheels

TomD
Yeah, those be they. There are two types, one is glass reinforced, and they are better, but either will do. Back when I was learning tube work for bicycle building I had a pal who was into the chopper thing, and we were working on various things to cope tubes. He mentioned he was coping the tubes for his frame with a dremel and those wheels. Sounded preposterous but I tried it, and they zipped through the curves and 1/8" walls with ease. They can break in the cut, but they almost always break when I put the tool down on a cluttered bench, anything that touches them breaks them.

Another place I would never have though of using them is if you know what a bow looks like you will know there is a deep cut-out where the arrow goes on the shelf. On a modern bow that can be something like Brazilian rosewood, and heavy glass or phenolic composites. Tough to cut in any direction without tear-out, and the action glass is a splintery non-crosslinked material that is easily damaged. I was talking to this famous bowyer and what was his favourite tool? Dremel with a the carbide freehand cutter!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081