Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Nassau carvers bench *PIC*

Jack Guzman from Maine
I was recently in Nassau in the Bahamas and I came upon some wood carvers around a place called the Straw Market. This place is a big tourist attraction. The vendors live mostly off of trade from cruise ships in the nearby port. I stopped and spoke with two of these carvers,in separate places. One on the sidewalk leading to the market and one in the market. The first one was working off of a bench that looked like a sawhorse with a wide top and a rectangular wood block at one end as a work surface. I figured it as a handmade portable bench. When I met the second carver I noticed that he had an identical bench. Near him in an alley I noticed a third bench of the same style. I should have asked about it when I had the chance but it didn't occur to me until later.

This is the second carver fabricating a fish out of a local hardwood.He told me he carved green wood. He also told me the species but I forgot.

The next is another bench with some unfinished carved footballs on it.

This last picture shows some carved objects and through the doorway you can see a few pieces of wood for carving stock.

One last thing, I noticed that both carvers had well worn Flexcut carving chisels. Not chipknives but full-sized carving chisels of various profiles.I wasn't aware that Flexcut made regular carving chisels.---Jack

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081