Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
More on work holding

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Following on from Bill's earlier example, I was shaping a bow drawer front, and it occurred to me to take a few photos of the method I used to hold a tapered board.

Planing across the board to reduce tearout. The board tapers (as the cabinet tapers). I could just place a batton behind the board to prevent it slipping out the dogs. Instead I have used two Vee battens. These were described by Richard Maguire (The English Woodworker) and Chris Schwarz. Easy to make - just cut a vee (at approximately 45 degrees) at the end of a short batten. Use a hold down to fasten.

Incidentally, the blue tape on the board marks the line to which I am working. It really makes is so much easier to see what you are doing.

While we are at it, here is an one oldish tool that you must try - a scraper made from an old blade. This one is 3/16" thick. Just hollow grind square. This is sufficient to create a cutting edge that will make shavings like a plane. Great for shaping. Here it was used to take down the plane marks and even out the surface before smoothing with a spokeshave ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081