Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
I did a woops

Jack Guzman from Maine
I build windsor chairs. I've been learning how for a few years now. I'm putting together a continuous arm rockler using some plans that Curtis Buchanan made up.I got my legs and stretchers done and dried the parts that needed drying. I shaped the front of the seat and carved the seat bowl. I had left excess wood on the back to give me a clamping surface.
Yesterday morning I decided it was time to assemble the legs and stretchers to the seat. I glued the stretchers to the legs and then glued these assemblies into the seat blank. I drove wedges into the leg tenons and I was done. I was content. It all came together without a hitch. Everything fit right and all was in proper proportions.
I was standing back admiring the new seat and I noticed my woops.
The excess wood at the back of the seat was still attached. Usually I cut this off with a bandsaw and then clamp the seat blank into my double screw vise and shape the back with a drawknife before assembling the seat. There was no way I was disassembling the leg system at this point so I just walked out of the shop and left it for a new day.
This morning I cut off the excess with a jigsaw and alternating between my regular drawknife and my 4" Jennings carvers drawknife I managed to carve around the legs sufficiently to finish the job. All is well again and I won't do that again.---Jack

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081