Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Fast
Response To:
Re: Fast ()

david weaver
I haven't sharpened a sewing machine needle, but most of the knives out there sharpen pretty well on the washita.

I sharpen everything I can get my fingers on, including cheap utility knife blades. You'd be surprised how long one will go in a utility knife before the geometry becomes a problem. I got a small box of cheap blades from HF a few years ago to cut up recyclables, and my two knives both have their first blades in them.

Japanese marking knives like a washita, too. So do the iyoroi level of japanese chisels. Anything run up to 65 hardness is a bit too hard, but I have a set of kamaji backed (mokume design, i guess) chisels that iyoroi makes, and they are white II. They're harder than western chisels, but not as hard as they claim to be and they work a treat on everything.

The side benefit is that it's an even fight between washita and chisel so the edge is better than it would be on a softer steel - similar to good quality suita. The kamaji cleans off the surface of the washita, too.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081