Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: diamond paste plate
Response To:
Re: diamond paste plate ()

TomD
Scary sharp sandpaper system. I started using it when I was doing demos and I didn't want to schlep my waterstones everywhere. Normally I might not need to sharpen, though it depends what style of tools I show up with, but I took two pieces of sandpaper and glued them to either sides of some very flat and stiff plywood. What stunned me was how long the paper held up, I figured I would be lucky if they lasted the demo, but was still using one of these jigs for touchups a few years later. I started using the system a lot because it is too cold for water in the shop during the winter, and it was less hassle than the oil stones.

I have since moved to diamond for this kind of thing, not sure it is better because my particular surfaces are softer. I find it is dynamite on leather, but not so nice to use on iron, and I have some very nice iron scraps left over from a restoration expert.

In summer I throw 4 stones in a bucket. I have two of my starter stones, and I rub them together to keep them flat, I think they are King 800s, then I have a mid and fine. I rub the mid against the starter, and the fine on the mid. Very simple and traditional system and it works great. Since I have hundreds of Japanese tools waterstones are a good fit.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081