Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Homemade, handmade, craftsman-made

Bruce McCrory
For Labor Day entertainment, Wife and I made a rare visit to 'Le-Antique malle. [Like eating at a ristorante.] Besides the piles of Hummels--Hubbels, in my mind--and every other nick-nack you can't imagine outside a garbage truck, there were small pieces of furniture.... Stuff, is the best term.

How I know it was 'homemade' is less the fault of fifty-year-old style, or honey-tone maple in soft pine (nemesis of black walnut), lumber yard dimensions, or the size. No, mostly, it was the look of a magazine/end-table/lamp-stand-all-in-one of multiple styles. In one construct.

The realization made me assess my current and pending projects. ...

Two end-tables/lampstands/nick-nacks holders in progressively shrinking maple that won't stay flat. If they are built, half the already milled wood will be organic compost. The pair, never intended for one davenport/sofa/couch will likely be in another antique mall; maybe, this same one, the longest living junk store I have ever shopped. But not as a pair.

A critic will probably inspect the piece(s). And, wonder how on earth someone managed to build a table with no two pieces of the same thickness!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081