Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Making a joint
Response To:
Making a joint ()

TomD
It's like a santa cookie cutter. The one thing it makes is a cookie shaped like a santa, one hopes. That is the workmanship of certainty. If could be used to cut out a pizza sized piece of dough with an interestingly worked edge. That is the workmanship of risk. Relative to planes that we use to make things straight and flat, the certainty is that the plane will cut whatever transverse profile is there, and that it will cut a longi hollow. You can put whatever English you want on it, though why one would bother when it does exactly what it is supposed to is another issue.

I have no idea who you are quoting but it is a well understood possibility that edges can get rounded accidentally. I think that is so called beginner workmanship, though before a thousand blogs and a few thousand online videos it was certainly not limited to beginners. It relates to a tendency for the off surface hand to tip the plane in it's direction, though I would call that an end, rather than an edge.

The key point about your example is that you started with an already flat edge which you might be inclined to regard as an extra step yourself as in "flattening the joint before flattening is another time waster". One question that arises is how do you know an edge is flat/planer? When hollowing one knows because the plane stops cutting. So the planing is the same process as the measuring, and the springing. Getting three steps in one may be slow for some, but I'll take it. I think David Charlesworth refers to this kind of deal as a stop cut. I use the terms hollowing, and backing out (for the step from a given hollow to flat)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081