Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Traditional cap iron construction

Steve Voigt
Here's something that can be filed under "totally esoteric stuff that no one cares about."
Last week, I made my first traditional cap iron, and I'm making another today. By "traditional," I mean the type used with tapered irons in wooden planes. The bend is about 5/8" from the bottom, and the end is shaped in a gentle radius, whereas modern cap irons are bent in the middle, and often just have a flat bevel.
Before making one, I measured of bunch of old ones I have, and more or less copied the dimensions. There was one thing that really struck me though, which is the location of the threaded hole.
On a typical old chipbreaker for a 2" iron, the length will be about 4 3/4", and the hole will be about 2.75" from the bottom. From an engineering standpoint, I would think you would place the hole right at the midpoint, which would be 2 3/8." You would get more pressure right at the cutting edge that way. However, none of my old chipbreakers do this.
The only explanation I can think of is that they didn't want to get too close to the bottom of the slot, but on every iron I have, many of which are full length (or very close), the hole could easily be placed 1/4"-3/8" closer to the edge.
I'm not suggesting that they "did it wrong;" in my experience there is always a good reason things are the way they are on these old planes. I just don't know what that reason is.
If anybody is still reading this and hasn't lapsed into a coma, do you have any theories about this? If you do, I'm all ears.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081