Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Traditional M&T Joint Chinese Style *PIC*

Chris Scholz
Last week I posted a link to my favorite woodworker, 辛师傅 to Youku. Looks like the link does not work too well, I think it is because this was going to google translate.
Ok, so maybe I'll process this a bit and make it more accessible for us in the West.

First, hand-cut M&T Chinese Style. 辛老師 (as a Professor, we need to call him 老師, i.e. laoshi, the title 师傅, shifu, is more for skilled craftsmen) is doing this a bit different than what Prof. Ecke shows in his book "Chinese Domestic Furniture", joint #10a, #16, and to some extend #25 and #32.

My on sketchup rendering.

Wonder if the two miters are cosmetic or to support the M&T. My limited knowledge in mechanical engineering in general and statics in specific makes me think that the miters help prevent racking. Thinking of it a bit more, this is an ingenious extension of our own M&T joint (or maybe our M&Ts are a crude simplification of the Chinese M&T joint, or maybe Western M&T joints and Chinese M&T joints were developed completely independent from each other).

In any case, here's a link to the original video on Youku (without the google translate part), should work this time...

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzc2NzAzMDQ0.html
(Hmm, have not figured out why the link starts t 7:31 min into the video, just scroll to the beginning if you are interested in this)

Enjoy.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081