Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Answer to question
Response To:
Question? ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

I have convinced myself that positioning of the cap iron is less critical (less fiddly) with a 50 bed angle. Anyone have experience to support, or not, this notion?

Hi Bill

This is one of the many points I could have included in the article, but omitted as there was already too muh detail.

I did state at the start that my reason for recommending to LV that the 50-degree frog be included in the line up was that it was the ideal mid ground. For many - those who use relatively uncomplicated wood - it would not be necessary to use the chipbreaker at all. And for those who do use complicated wood, the chipbreaker can come into play.

A couple of years ago, when we were still debating the chipbreaker, and there was experimenting and videoing going on, one of the pieces I did was to demonstrate that thebed angle and the chipbreaker were additive. That is, the higher the cutting angle, the more it reduced tear out, and this went up exponentially with a close set chipbreaker.

The question you ask is whether a higher bed angle makes the distance to the edge of the blade less critical. My thought, which is based on some experimentation here, as well as the research recently published by Kees, is that the angle at the leading edge of the chipbreaker is a central element. Keep in mind that the higher the bed, the more the angle increases at the leading edge (of the chipbreaker). A higher angle may be pulled back a little further - which is all to say that a 50-degree frog should be less critical to set up.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081