Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Good grief!
Response To:
Question? ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I didn't ask if I needed a cap iron. If you go to the Gallery section you will find that I build stuff, a lot of stuff, only a fraction of which I have posted so far. It doesn't fall on a receptive ear being told what I need to build the stuff I build, the way I build it. Well, it might fall on a receptive ear if the advice givers offered some evidence that they too built a lot of stuff and didn't have but an inexpensive plane or two to employ in the building of the stuff they build. Sorry, but a video of flattening a piece of oak didn't do much for someone that would have done it on a jointer in a few seconds and gotten on to flattening the dozens of other pieces of wood necessary to make something.

I find a cap iron useful. Period, end of story. I have no interest in a discussion otherwise, though others are encouraged to argue its merits, in your own posts, and not hijack mine trying to ask a question. I would be delighted if the irrelevant posts to my question were deleted and resumed in a separate discussion of cap iron merit.

I'll get it stated by asking why the hell they were invented if they weren't useful to the people earning a living making furniture using them. Maybe one has to build stuff to discover the answer, I don't know. Answer elsewhere.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081