Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
What are our goals as woodworkers?

david weaver
This is a follow up to the sellers post below. I obviously have different goals than many, working around the edges of the hobby building more tools than furniture and with a fanatical fascination with different sharpening stones, despite never having trouble getting a sharp edge with the very first set I made.

For a couple of years, I figured that I'd be a mostly power tool user. I didn't do anything well. I still don't do anything great, but the planes I've been able to make are bordering on made well.

I've noticed that a lot of people who were in this hobby when I started haven't seemed to go anywhere and some have taken special interest in certain things and zoomed past in a shorter period of time.

Point being, what keeps me in the hobby is that I want to learn to do something really well. Professionally well, not that I want to do it professionally (as in pay), but I want my work to be indistinguishable from professional work. This is probably going to be making planes for me, but I generally do them only by hand - that's the only thing I find enjoyable. But in making a half dozen planes so far (instead of making two and then making something entirely different), I am getting a level of satisfaction that I didn't get when I was going from project to project and never getting good at anything.

I have resigned myself to the point that if I do build some more furniture, I'm going to build a half dozen of the same thing. I can't fully understand the aspects and get the design elements down in one. I suspect that for a lot of professionals who made well known items, their best work was the work that they made a lot of and really had the ability to get deeply into. I'd imagine they had a satisfaction when they knew that they were doing something well, too. A satisfaction I'd like to experience more. It drives me nuts to do something mediocre, and it drives me nuts to do something really well only because i did it really slowly.

I'm reminded of klausz saying to someone (and I don't remember who) that one of the problems with hobbyists is that they don't pick something to get good at, they just do a lot of things, and he wasn't commenting on whether or not they were having a good time, but maybe he was indirectly - that they'd be more satisfied if they picked a few things and did them well.

So, what do you think of yourself as far as your goals go? A goal of doing many things, or of doing a few things and getting really good at them?

Messages In This Thread

What are our goals as woodworkers?
Re: What are our goals as woodworkers?
Why did I ask this question?
Re: Why did I ask this question?
Re: Theoretically...
Re: I hope people do whatever they want..
Amen to that thought
It is just wood, right?
Re: Yeah well - the pro thing
To make furniture
The Curtis Buchannan definition of "professional"
Re: Hard to know what it means...
Re: The Curtis Buchannan definition of "profession
Re: The Curtis Buchannan definition of "profession
Re: Pro doesn't mean good.
Baloney
Re: Baloney
Re: Baloney
Re: I think..
My take
My current web of goals includes
Re: What are our goals as woodworkers? *PIC*
I wonder if Fred's great grandfather was a craftsm
Re: I wonder if Fred's great grandfather was a cra *PIC*
What are our goals as craftsmen
Fear is what motivates me
Re: Fear is what motivates me
Re: Fear is what motivates me
Re: Krenov
Heirarchy of skills
Re: passions !!
Re: passions !!
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081