Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Determining value of a spice chest *PIC*

Jim Orasky
This is a cross post from the main message board. Bill Tindall suggested I post here and ask "Warren" if he had any advice, so here goes:

In Aug 2014 I mailed a Spice chest to Japan as a belated wedding present to my son and his wife. It is a long story, but I started it in 2011 right after their wedding but life intervened and I had to set it aside for a while.

Somewhere between the post office here in Pennsylvania and my son's address, the Spice Chest was damaged. I think I can repair it during an upcoming trip to Japan, but in the meanwhile I have been wrestling with the US Post Office over an insurance claim. They have agreed to pay, but I need to "prove" the value of the chest. I have no idea how to do that. I am a recreational woodworker and do not sell my items. I have no basis to prove the value. To me, the value of the chest far exceeds the material component cost.

Bill thought you may be able to point me in the right direction. I have attached a few pictures of the chest. They are not good quality. The chest is cherry with bookmatched slab fiddleback ash for drawer fronts.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081