Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
One down . . . *PIC*

CJ in MPLS
A while back I posted about some chisel handles I intended to replace. So naturally I waited a long time to finally get around to starting the actual project. Nothing like working with cold tools. Here is the first handle:

I picked up leather scraps from Tandy and will glue those down with hide glue momentarily.

I had some success in getting the handle to fit by using the age old and freaking tedious process of spotting the handle using the pre-existing filth inside the socket and then scraping the filth off. Many, many times. I got a very good fit, if I do say so myself. I ended the process when I couldn't easily remove the handle from the socket, which was a logical if unplanned stopping point. It would have been easier to glue on the leather washers if the handle wasn't in the chisel. I might also have been able to chuck the handle for a bit of truing on the lathe, but a sander will likely be used to smooth a roughly shaped leather surface.

This is the first one and it took about 3 hours with stock prep (note to self, leave more wood on ends of blank to steer clear of the live and dead centers), turning and scraping. Since I have 8-9 more to go I hope this time comes down considerably. ;)

Cheers,

CJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081