Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Early note on Atoma 400
Response To:
Early note on Atoma 400 ()

Hank Knight
Wiley,

I ordered a large translucent Arkansas stone from Hall's Pro Edge a couple of years ago. It's a very nice stone, but when it arrived, it was far from flat. I sent it back to be flattened and it came back better, but still not flat. So, I bit the bullet and ordered a big DMT Dia Flat lapping plate and went to work on the stone. It was slow going, and I still haven't gotten it completely flat. It was crowned and I've worked it down to the point that I can use about 90% of the stone, all but a small rim around the edge. Occasionally, I put the stone back on the lapping plate and have another go at it in my continuing effort to flatten all of it. It seems to cut a little better for a while after a lapping session, but only marginally. I have gone many months between lappings and the stone continues to cut beautifully. I don't think lapping will be necessary to maintain the stone once I finally get the entire surface flat, if I ever do. It is my main finish stone before stropping with a compound-charged leather strop. I don't have any relevant experience with other Arkansas stones. The translucent is the only one in my current sharpening kit.

Hank

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081