Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: suggest mold for top
Response To:
Re: suggest mold for top ()

Wiley Horne--So. Calif.
Great story, Derek! The part about 'giving me hell' is particularly evocative :) .

I didn't mean 'eye level' perfectly literally, so the comment stands, but I'll try to put some flesh on the notion. And to back off a little, you're at a point, with the bones of the piece pretty well in mind, to consider the ornament.

I like in your blue-tape mockup, the wing flare of the top. Looks like it belongs. Am also thinking, what will Lynndy see when she opens the top to look in the mirror, which will be a frequent activity since she will have jewelry near to hand. Well, in the drawer itself I am seeing a baize lining, or silver cloth, or the like; then the mirror would be surrounded by some sort of inlay, cross banding, or stringing. Perhaps where the mirror side of the top makes its close, it would have an inset of baize to soften the close and seal against dust (optional). The mold I was speaking of would do 4 things: carry out the wing-like exterior look shown in your mockup; provide a welcoming hand hold for tilting back; provide a finished interior look when open; and complement the pulls. What would be the profile? Dunno, but that top has several jobs to do, some of them aesthetic.

The project will be wonderful, given your skill and cooperation from Lynndy. I'm just getting pulled into the fun, and perhaps these ideas are far behind your own thinking. They're offered just in the spirit of the occasion....

Wiley

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081