Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Son of Stanley #52

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Blame it on two days of painting walls, ceilings and trim. The mind gets to wandering to preserve sanity, such that is left.

I had been thinking about the Stanley #51 shooting board plane replica that Lie-Nielsen are planning to bring out some time (hopefully) soon. I had a brief discussion with Thomas LN about this a couple of years ago. At the time I think that the intention was to produce the entire #51/52 combination. About a month or so ago Chris Schwarz released information on his blog that LN may just produce the #51 plane. This would be used on a shooting board of your choice. The #51 would be able to be used on the Stanley #52 shooting board, and I would be keen to get one as it would be a more durable version than my vintage original. But that is another matter.

I had been thinking about a wooden version of the #52 shooting board. In particular, the fence. Making a shooting board is a simple matter when the design is kept basic. This one took me about 5 minutes. It is ply glued and nailed to veneered MDF.

Well I managed to get into the shop this afternoon and needed a building fix, sooo ...

Here is my restored Stanley #52 fence ...

This is a superb design. Not only does it have the capacity for variable angle settings, but it has fixed stops at 45- and 90 degrees, and these are always spot-on. The fence slides to adjust for the angle changing - angling the fence reduces the distance to the blade. This is a very solidly built fence. Wonderful tool altogether.

I wanted to come up with something that worked in a similar way - the minimum of adjustments and parts, with the maximum of settings. Here's what I came up with ..

Features:

Details:

The base has a 5" radius, while the fence is 7 1/2" long (the original is about 7").

I have a few mods in mind, such as lengthening the slots for the subfence, as well as adding the extra angles.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081