Messages Archive

Subject:
My CBN Wheel arrived.....

Barry Irby
And I installed it on my ancient Rockwell 6" grinder. Not without some difficulty. I had a 3/4" wheel on it. The new wheel is 1" and the old washers were too thick and there was a roll pin in the shaft. Could not get the pin out so I drilled it away to nothing and used conventional washers for padding. Took some fiddling and searching, but it got done.

I moved the old white wheel to the other end of the machine. I also dressed it.

There were a set of planer knives that needed sharpening because they discovered a nail. The grinder has a jig meant for plane blades and chisels, but it has been adapted for planer knives. I sharpened them in a matter of minutes. Then stroked them on a 600 grit diamond plate and then stropped them on a 1 X 30 sander with a leather belt impregnated with diamond.

I won't say they were sharp, but I looked and had blood all over them. Cut myself and didn't even know it.

Two things surprised me. One, the wheel is steel and heavier than I imagined. The first time I turned on and off, the grinder ran for so long I thought the switch had failed in the ON position. Took it 4 1/2 minutes to stop. I guess those old bearings are still fine.

Two, the wheel is 180 grit and it produced more heat than I expected. This was the first time for the blades on the wheel and were probably getting a little more shaping than next time.

So far, pretty happy.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081