Messages Archive

Subject:
I would like to know how many of you responders

Keith Newton
Have ever tried anything other than a saw blade for this task? Please respond if you have, but then went BACK to a saw blade because you thought it easier or better?
First, I’d like to point out that every saw blade I’ve ever seen had a point geometry for cutting on top, with a sharpness angle on the side of the teeth of near 90*, maybe 85*. Think about using a chisel with that wide an angle. I think a straight screw driver would work equally well.
When the old Sears Craftsman molding cutter with 3 blades 1” wide is tilted over to 20-30*, and the board is fed Diagonally across There is about 3/4” of the top of those 3 blades with a decent sharpness angle, doing an easy shearing cut diagonally across the grain, producing nice big flakes.

It only takes two passes to remove almost all of the waste on maybe a 3” cove, with one more skim cut to produce a clean face that doesn’t require nearly as much sanding as a saw blade leaves.

It’s best if the top, or highest point of the tilted edge is rounded over rather than a sharp corner. These blades are easy to re-grind. I use a spray machinest dye, with a little piece of Tough plastic packing Cut for a pattern then scratched with an awl then grind to The mark, then sharpen.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081