Messages Archive

Subject:
Hard Maple for new Workbench

Brian gunsmith From colorado
As I transition from gunsmith to retirement, I am starting to build a cabinetmakers workbench.
My ultimate bench (or perhaps penultimate bench).
So far the plans are for final dimensions of 6'6" by 24" by 4 inch thick hard maple.
As I look at it on the far left the leg vise (benchcrafted leg vise with x brace) will anchor that end.
The other end will be a lie Nielsen tail vise.

Problem I have is that locally I have not found enough hard maple to do the top.
I have enough to do the legs. I am on the 2nd iteration of design. The first used a premade 2 1/4 inch top. I don't like that now.

Question does anyone know sources in this area, Monument, Colorado where I could find more hard maple S2S at 8/4 thickness. I have been to CO Lumber and Woodcraft and they don't have enough and/or cost too much.
2nd question is can hard maple 8/4 thickness be successfully finger jointed end to end to make individual boards 7' long by 4" by 8/4 that I can sister between two solid pieces. Obviously aligning the bit so the pieces fit properly will be key. My goal would be to buy say 8 solid pieces and glue up the remainder. Giving a total of 12 pieces.

I am aiming towards several glueups. 4 each of 3 boards. Then glue pairs of those together and then the final glue up. The first glueups are aimed at being 6 inches wide or less so I can flatten them on my 6 inch jointer. I have many Bessey k-body clamps and other clamps.

I am planning on using titebond glue for the glueups.

What am I missing if anything?

Thanks in advance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081