Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: Thorg Young discovers the lever and more!

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA
When I was 22, I was working for a little light manufacturing operation outside Philadelphia. The owner had figured out a sweet deal: many of his production staff were retirees from local industries, who were permitted to work up to so much income or so many days (can't now remember which) without it affecting their Social Security. He paid them well, and they got a chance to get out of the house, do something productive, B.S. with their coworkers, and generally have a good time. Most of the men in the production operations had worked for the heavy industries around Philadelphia; the women working there had come from a variety of places.

Probably the worst job in that company was held by the woman in Payroll whose job it was to go to someone who was about to reach his/her annual limit and say, "No more work this year as of next Tuesday. Hope you can come back next year."

I was the young sprat, hired to help someone work on design and build for a new machine. At one point, we had to move a sheet metal brake from one side of a small building to the other, to make room for our machine. The brake probably weighed 4,000 pounds, maybe more. Under the tutelage of several experienced production workers, and using a crowbar, three lengths of pipe, and scraps of wood, I picked up that brake, set it on the pipes, and rolled it 20 feet to its new home. My tutors in this project didn't break a sweat, but I was amazed to find that neither did I. And they sure had fun amazing me with their knowledge.

Yes, it's pretty amazing what's possible with simple tools and an understanding of the forces.

I wonder if your ancestral Thorg bought his crowbars at Home Desperate, Lower's, or Menards?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081