Messages Archive

Subject:
Oscillating spindle sander

John in NM
I got my OSS fixed over the weekend, very happy about that. I've been making do with the little Rigid version from HD for years, but bought a used Max about 3 years ago, which promptly failed after an hour or so.

Turns out that was my fault :D It came without a plug (and I did not overlap with the seller, a friend in the town where it was stored it for me to pick up later). So I put a 110 VAC plug on it to see if it worked, and it did, so I figured 110 was it. Turns out motor was wired 220 VAC! Only found that out when taking it apart to see if the start cap had failed. I fixed the motor but bought a new one to install in the sander, it's a bit of a pain to get to :D

Having one of the little ones, I have a huge box of sleeves on hand, and they are half the length of the sleeves the big sander uses. So I decided to try something:

Fine on top, coarse on bottom. Works ok for the kind of shaping I do. Man this thing is quieter than the Rigid! Going to have to figure out a replacement for the Rigid's belt function though, I've found that to be surprisingly useful.

Messages In This Thread

Oscillating spindle sander
Re: Oscillating spindle sander
Re: Oscillating spindle sander
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081