Messages Archive

Subject:
mortise strength *PIC*

Cameron
I started cutting mortises for my workbench legs and stretches yesterday and after making the 1st one I started to get nervous on how much material I was going to be removing. I drew up a full sized sketch to visualize the mortise cross-section (sorry it is on a scrap of rosin paper I had at hand). As the tenons are cut they are 3.5" long, 1.5" thick. My legs are 6" x 4 5/8". If I cut the mortises as planed it will end up with the two holes converging, leaving ~1" of the end of the side stretcher's tenon touching nothing. I suspect this isn't too big of a deal for side stretcher strength/racking but I also will end up with a 1.5" x 3 5/8" L cut out of the inside of the leg. I thought about cutting the tenons down to either the green 3" to ensure the mortises do not connect or just drop the side stretcher down to the blue 2 3/8" line which would but it up to the side of the front mortise. Knowing that a M&T gets its strength in the length I am hesitant of cutting them shorter. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill here? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Messages In This Thread

mortise strength *PIC*
Re: mortise strength
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081