Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: Quarter sawn is better, but..
Response To:
Quarter sawn ()

David Weaver
...wood sold in the united states as rift or quartered is often sawn with the pith off center on a mill.

this still leaves strangeness in terms of tension and movement with changing moisture (the result is twisting rather than cupping).

I know zero about furniture, but wonder if the very fine old furniture was made with boards that were riven and then planed.

Guitars are made now (the good ones - fender exempted) with quartersawn necks, but even those in a factory are cut oversize, allowed to sit for quite a period of time, and then final sized if they're straight. If they're not straight, they're sized back to straight and checked again later. If this continues X times (or a neck blank eventually becomes undersized due to truing up), the blank is thrown away.

Fender flatsawed their neck blanks most of the time figuring owners should be able to buy and install replacement parts with abandon. Backbow and disposal in those isn't too uncommon, and Leo Fender's original vision of not even redoing the frets (just throw the whole neck away) is down the toilet now, as many of the flatsawn fender branded necks are about $600. Anyway, that's beside the point.

I have experienced this twist in both plane wood and guitar neck wood. Quartered is still easier to deal with overall, though, and it looks miles better (and the drawer sides probably wear a lot better if runners are not installed on their bottoms).

But that goes back to the furniture - I don't know anything about it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081