Messages Archive

Subject:
An impractical alternative

David Weaver
I've resawn wood that was supposedly dried through and through to a low MC, only to notice that the sawdust is damp and cools if you lift it and drop it through the air a few times. The results are predictable. Boards that end up dry a little later and nowhere close to flat.

Here's the impractical alternative - the japanese work in fairly humid areas, often with wood that's very light and probably not that stable.

I saw a video series of one of those bespoke type shops in japan building entirely by hand, and outside of their building they had a machine that looked like a giant hydraulic press. It was in japanese, so I couldn't see what they were saying, but they were putting boards into the machine. I think it was a thermal press and they were cooking the wood in situ in the press both to make sure it was flat when dried, and to ensure that its ability to reabsorb moisture would be seriously impaired.

This was a machine that was the size of a car doing a whole row of boards. It was quite an interesting thing to see given that the work being done inside the building was entirely or almost entirely hand tool work.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081