Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: antiques and disputes
Response To:
antiques and disputes ()

Sgian Dubh
"If upon delivery the lumber is not 7% (typical specification)or less it will be rejected. If there is a dispute about the moisture content the lumber will be tested with the NHLA reference method using an oven and drying to constant weight. This value will be admissible evidence in arbitration or court."
Naturally, I would expect courts to only accept evidence from an approved source and methodology. I wouldn't claim that oven drying using a microwave oven is, or could be, an alternative to methods already approved or acceptable. I suppose the NHLA could offer such a method as an alternative and equally acceptable methodology, but that would no doubt be their call following definitive testing on their part, plus submitting their proposed methodology to some sort of arbitration, and eventually gaining recognition for it as acceptable. But, why would they do that unless there is or was some compelling reason to do so?

What I do find interesting here is that a large operation, presumably a mass-production furniture factory, might require their supplier of dried wood to adhere so rigidly to a specification of a 7% MC. I'm more familiar with furniture manufacturers specifying a moisture content ±2 or 3%. Whilst I understand the requirement for consistency in all things mass-produced, it does seem a little unusual to me to be so demandingly specific for wood, which as we know is rather prone to varying in MC.

On the other hand, there are, admittedly, techniques for maintaining dried wood MC once the wood leaves the kiln, e.g., close stacking, wrapping with plastic sheeting, swift delivery to the buyer/user, and so on, so the ability to supply to specification within a percentage point or two either way of the target shouldn't be impossible or unreliable. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081