Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: I do not recommend the microwave method

Sgian Dubh
I've never done it, Bill, but it would be interesting to take two sequential wood samples from two or three boards and oven dry one of each pair in a microwave, and the other half of those pairs in a conventional oven to determine if there is a significant difference between the two methods.

I'm afraid you lost me a bit in your post to which I'm replying. The method I use with a microwave oven does involve repeated cycles at the final stage to ensure a constant final weight prior to calculating the original moisture content of the sample.

Regarding your point (in the other sub-thread here) about 1/4 sawn oak in British/English furniture drawer sides, my experience is that that choice is less common than many non-Brits perceive. I'd guess, and therefore it's anecdotal, from working with many examples of old and not-so-old British furniture is that a great deal less than half used 1/4 sawn oak. I speculate that one reason for its use in drawer sides might have been driven by the fact that the movement factor for 1/4 sawn oak and the movement factor for tangentially sawn mahogany (drawer fronts) are very closely matched, i.e., ~4.5% from FSP to 0% MC (if I recall that correctly). I can't say that the Georgians through to the Edwardians in the UK knew that when they built their furniture, but they might have done. Whether or not they knew I don't suppose matters, because I don't think the amount of movement differential between a drawer front and a drawer side is ever normally significant or problem, whatever the choice of material for both parts. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081