Messages Archive

Subject:
This wood seems dry.....

Barry Irby
I have a moisture meter and I was going to test it, but.... I got the pin meter out after it being in a drawer for years. I got it in a buck of stuff at a tool auction. The batteries were not only dead, the little snack connectors that work with 9 volt batteries were missing and the batteries were soldered in. I have ordered new ones and they will be here in a day or two. I have another (pinless) meter I used in home inspections, but never used it in any sort of absolute sense. (If I suspected your toilet were leaking, I metered a spot several feet away to get a background reading and then checked near the toilet to see if it were wetter.)

While waiting for the parts, I used the pinless meter and noted the reading. In a day or two I will check again.

Beyond that, this wood seems dry to me. That's the intuitive assessment based on fifty years of experience with wood. And, I have done this before with this very stack of wood. Built three chest of drawers and a number of other drawers over the last five years. Some years ago I resawed (deep ripped) a lot of it and had a stock that only recently was exhausted. Perhaps it's time to restock.

Now to learn the microwave method.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081