Messages Archive

Subject:
Re: Entry hall table for a niece: Part 4

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
The bevel worked just right for that case. I've lost track.....are the case corners going to be rounded? I think not with the bevel fronts.

build the drawers with planted fronts. This is not a method I like (but it may be expedient). The second option is to set the dovetailed drawers sides back (recess them) to account for the internal drawer dividers.

I don't understand the drawer discussion. First, what is a planted front? We would call option 2 a lipped drawer. I would not look forward to dovetailing this option unless you just build a box and apply a front, what is becoming a common practice over here.

There is a very good cabinet maker in our club and he builds all his drawers with a shop made center guide( not factory metal) under the drawer. I must admit that his drawers work nicely. I employed this approach in the corner cabinet drawer to my satisfaction. This option would eliminate the dividers. Would I do it on this box. No, but I can't say why, just a notion, but I'll bet the person that uses center guides regularly would.

Btw, your shop seems short on marking gauges. ;)

What I would do is inset the drawers and contrast the grain, probably veneering a vertical rift grain on them. These is a lot of business in the neighborhood. I would want something calming on the drawer fronts.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081