Messages Archive

Subject:
Two-part wood bleach questions

hapajeff
I need to lighten a new walnut panel to approximate the aging in some existing doors. I'm using two-part bleach to remove the darkness and I'll stain and glaze the door to match. My problem is that the door isn't getting light enough, even after three rounds of bleaching. It's closer, but it's still a tad too dark. The bleach solution is new (Wood Kote Lite-N-Up), and is being used per instructions - mix equal parts A and B and use immediately.

Some two-part bleaches recommend using the sodium hydroxide (aka lye) liquid first, then applying the hydrogen peroxide shortly thereafter. I'm wondering if I can get better results by bleaching in two steps and varying the lye or peroxide quantities either when applied separately or when combined prior to application.

Does the sodium hydroxide-to-hydrogen peroxide ratio have any effect on the bleaching power? Does the order of application matter when using the liquids separately?

I'm in a bit of a rush for a job that needs to be in-house this weekend, with the lacquer finish de-gassed as much as possible, so I don't have the luxury of using butternut, ordering new or more material, or redoing things. I have to make do with what's in hand unfortunately. To compound things, my finisher is out of the country and unreachable.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081