Messages Archive

Subject:
Metal Working process for a Music Stand Part

Alan Young
Note! This is a picture heavy Post!
Here is the process I use in making one of the brass pieces for my music stand designs.
This is the "Cap" for the Wooden Post.
The cap has four countersunk mounting holes and a center hole with hex shaped cut out for the brass hex post

The 1/4" Brass plate is marked for center.

The center hole and the four mounting screw holes are drilled.

Next I make a "Hex Marking Template" using a 3/4" aluminum hex stock. The stock is tapped for a 3/8-16 thread.

The aluminum hex stock will be mounted to the brass with this 3/8-16 screw.
I marked the profile of the hex stock onto the brass with a scribe and a sharpie.

I put the work piece back in the mill and hog out the bulk of the center with a 47/64 drill. This leaves the markings of the hex profile. I file the hex profile by hand-but I didn't take pictures.

I return to the aluminum stock and part off a 3/16 thick section with a 3/8 inch hole.

After filing the hex profile in the brass, I tap the aluminum hex into the brass. Now I can center it and turn the brass round on the lathe

The brass with the aluminum insert is mounted in a mandrel to turn round on the lathe.
I cut the outside profile from each side till the corners are thin. I then break them off with a hammer and turn the rest of the piece till there are no witness marks.

A test setting of the piece on the center pole.

A bit of sanding still to go then its ready to be mounted to the pole.

Messages In This Thread

Metal Working process for a Music Stand Part
thank you
Re: thank you
Re: Metal Working process for a Music Stand Part
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081