Messages Archive

Subject:
Band saw is vertically challenged *PIC*

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
Part 1 The cherry tree from Hell

Long ago a family with 5 boys camped in the woods. We bought the woods. A cherry tree toppled near the family camping spot. It was a nice tree with a crotch about 11' off the ground. I had it sawed and it yielded up to 19" wide boards, few knots and some crotch wood, but most of the crotch has bark included. >( In the middle of the tree it had been shot and nailed with big spikes on one side. >( I knew where the spikes were and avoided using lumber from near them. Resawed some door parts and split lengthwise, perfectly, 3 roofing nails, destroying the resaw blade. >(

Part 2 Band saw is vertically challenged

I used most of the cherry tree building a chest of drawers for son in law. I had one 10/4 plank left with crotch wood at one end. It looked like I could just get two door panels out of the crotch for the corner cupboard lower doors. Changed plans to narrow the stiles, thereby increasing required panel width from 13 1/4" to 13 5/8.

Began working on the crotch end. Discovered a bad spot, circled in picture. Thought it would plane out. Didn't. Rifle bullet hole almost through the wood, 10' above ground!. >( But I could lower the place where I would saw out the door panel so all is well.

Began preparing piece for resaw. Discovered band saw vertical capacity is 13 3/8". >( In only an hour I was able to resaw the two panels, the hand tool way. :)

Part 3 The end

Here I am sliding the door frames over the panel stock to get the most attractive presentation. The #6 shotgun shot that showed up is off to the edge where I can live with it. I think it will all work out.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081