WC logo MENU
View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg
Turning
sharpening grit test
Posted By john c lucas
Date Thursday, 2 June 2022, at 8:00 p.m.

I finally had time to do a grit size sharpening test. I picked a piece of wood that easily shows any error in cutting or sanding lines. I used African Ebony. I sharpened my Thompson 1/2" V bowl gouge using the 40/40 method to 40 degree nose angle using mu 350 grit CBN wheel. I made a pass across the ebony. then I ground the same gouge to the same angle using a 36 grit gray wheel. Made a short pass on the end of the ebony. I could not tell the difference. The course grit is the right end and the fine grit is just past the groove. I did it 3 times ( it hurt to grind away that much steel but really it was only probably .010") The test came out the same all 3 times. If I have time tomorrow I might try another wood but I've found the ebony to be a really tell all to how well my tools are cutting. Anyway. I guess the important part of sharpening is to get repeatable angles, make sure you sharpen all the way to the tip ( which can be harder with the finer grits) and sharpen frequently. What grit you use is apparently unimportant. OK now that I said that the finer grits do have some advantages. One is you remove less steel each time you sharpen. An edge ground with a finer grit will last longer. I have seen this in my own experiments but it's well documented in The English magazine Woodturning and there was also an article in American Woodturner the showed this.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg

faq
Frequently Asked Questions on using forums

Oneway Manufacturing - Superor Design, Legendary Quality

Messages Hand Tools Turning Classifieds Feedback SANDBOX
Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any meanswithout the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 274, COOPERSBURG, PA 18036