WC logo MENU
View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg
Turning
new work -- only 19 years in the oven *PIC*
Posted By GaryG in MD
Date Saturday, 9 April 2022, at 12:26 a.m.

GaryG in MD
winged box
"Hallmark"
4-3/4" h x 8" dia.
figured (crotch) walnut (pith in), holly, carnelian stone, dye, acrylic paint, gilding wax
Watco Danish Oil, Simoniz carnauba wax

Lots of history here -- I won't bore you with too much of it.
Small walnut crotch from a branch obtained locally in 2003 -- didn't show flame or feather when sawed open -- just a bit of curl and some nice colors -- it'll do. I kept a piece of the pith in it -- nice bit of texture -- a wabi sabi element. Roughed in early 2006 as a "winged trumpet bowl" (could be Phil Brown inspiration) or possibly a small "platter/plate". But it didn't speak to me, and it sat on a shelf, mounted on its CA glue block for 15 years, till last fall. I knew I'd have to redo the glue block. I didn't. Crazy but true. Do not try this at home!

I'm into boxes now, so it became a box. I didn't want a "standard" finial -- that would look stupid -- so I went with a form popular with Horst Kontak that I thought looked right. I use mostly holly for finials because of the lack of apparent grain, turns like butta, holds edges, and takes any color I wish. I added a ring and carnelian cabochon (per my buddy Clif Poodry) on the inside/bottom for visual impact.

So I set the finial on the box and kind of liked the contrast and natural look, but not really -- something wrong -- too austere, too plain, kind of naked, minimal. I certainly didn't want black, or red, and wood colors are tricky. I see a lot of mixed wood colors that I don't think look good together. So I showed it to Carol Hall before a meeting where she was demonstrating, and without a pause she said: "paint the bead". Like yeah! Duh. That works! So simple, but so profound. I named the piece for her inspiration. Thank you Carol! Here's a tease:

Finishing up: I didn't want the whole inside to be bright shiny gold, so I did the inside red (like gold foil primer) with light gold "liming" wax to fill the grain pores, so it kind of glitters. It doesn't show well in the photo -- looks better in person -- kind of glows almost purple from a distance, even though it's red up close. I put some color on the foot to complement the top, and done. Nice look, but now I don't have a place to sign it! Suggestions welcome. That's the 19-year history of that walnut "branch junction". :-) So now, you can see the rest here. C&C welcome.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg

faq
Frequently Asked Questions on using forums

Shop Amazon using this affiliate link, and Amazon will pay WoodCentral a commission on anything you buy. The commission is used in paying the costs of maintaining this site, and the price you pay on Amazon is NOT affected by using this link.

Oneway Manufacturing - Superor Design, Legendary Quality

Messages Hand Tools Turning Classifieds Feedback SANDBOX
Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any meanswithout the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 274, COOPERSBURG, PA 18036