WC logo MENU
View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg
Turning
Dust collector project. *PIC*
Posted By Leo Cuellar
Date Saturday, 2 April 2022, at 12:49 a.m.

Leo Cuellar
This past week I decided to finally tackle a project that I've had all the parts sitting around for a while. I disassembled my old Grizzly 1 & 1/2hp dust collector and mounted it on a rolling cart.

I decided that while I was at it I would make a rack to hold the tailstock on the rare occasions that it needs to be removed.

While doing this I discovered that one glaring flaw that all Grizzly tools seem to have. It is impossible to slide the tailstock off unless you remove the retaining nut from the bottom of the cam. The solution was to "mill" a relief slot in the end of the lathe. A Diablo carbide saws-all blade made short work of it.

As I had things moved out of the way, I added an extruded aluminum rail to the back of the lathe for a dust collection bracket and maybe a small tool rack for WIP.

If I were doing this again, I would use something made of heavier gauge steel than the HF cart. The dust collector's flaw is that it isn't balanced very well, and when it winds down after being switched off there is a point where it really rattles the cart. I added some heavy rubber pads at the mounting bolts and some high density foam between the impeller housing and the bottom of the cart, this helped with the noise issue, but did not eliminate it.
Overall though, I'm happy with the outcome. The cart is 6 inches narrower than the original platform and 5 inches shorter. It also gives me a couple of extra feet of clear space behind the table saw as the filter bags are no longer in the way. The new filter bag is of course smaller and won't be such a struggle to get out of the shop when full. Because of that rattle, I will have one flat surface in the shop that won't accumulate stuff :D . There is also room on the bottom shelf to store my vacuum pump.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg

faq
Frequently Asked Questions on using forums

Oneway Manufacturing - Superor Design, Legendary Quality

Shop Amazon using this affiliate link, and Amazon will pay WoodCentral a commission on anything you buy. The commission is used in paying the costs of maintaining this site, and the price you pay on Amazon is NOT affected by using this link.

Messages Hand Tools Turning Classifieds Feedback SANDBOX
Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any meanswithout the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 274, COOPERSBURG, PA 18036