WC logo MENU
View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg
Posted By Mark Mandell - Gone Round in New Jersey
Date Monday, 2 May 2022, at 10:51 a.m.

Mark Mandell - Gone Round in New Jersey
I've posted several jars turned from the red Maple tree that we hade to take down to make way for the new shop. Most of the tree was milled to 7/4 and air-dried. Although end-sealed and weighted, I lost a large portion of the lumber to splits that would go the full length of an 11' board.

The shop was built and the remaining boards showing huge amounts of fiddle-back curl, were carefully stacked and stickered (although dry to emc) in the shop. I finally got around to milling what I thought would be truly exceptional wood.
Here's tasty No. 1

Started to dimension via the P-Max and a sled to get some warp out and then went to the planer. Things were going well until the thickness got reduced to about an inch when several darker streaks showed up.

One more cut and

that's all she wrote.

I knew, from the drying cracks, the tree had a kind of ring shake but the remaining boards looked good. Looks like I'm not getting as much from the tree as I'd looked forward to using.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg

faq
Frequently Asked Questions on using forums

Oneway Manufacturing - Superor Design, Legendary Quality

Shop Amazon using this affiliate link, and Amazon will pay WoodCentral a commission on anything you buy. The commission is used in paying the costs of maintaining this site, and the price you pay on Amazon is NOT affected by using this link.

Messages Hand Tools Turning Classifieds Feedback SANDBOX
Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any meanswithout the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 274, COOPERSBURG, PA 18036