WC logo MENU
View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg
Posted By Ellis Walentine
Date Monday, 2 May 2022, at 9:02 a.m.

Ellis Walentine
Back in the '80s, some friends of ours purchased a Ming-dynasty low table at auction and liked it so much they commissioned me to make an exact replica for them. I was at somewhat of a loss, because the original was made of a kind of rosewood that isn't generally available on this side of the world, and it had a solid thuya (or something terribly similar) burl panel inlaid in the top. Not only that, but there are three distinct molding profiles -- four, counting the fluted leg profile -- in the original table that can't be duplicated with any modern-day router or shaper cutters.

What to do? Well, I had a lot of Indian rosewood on hand at the time, and a big ol' veneer press, so I decided to use my rosewood and a Carpathian elm burl veneer laminated on a 3/8" pine substrate.

The moldings were another story. To produce exact replicas of the original profiles, I ground the profiles (at whatever compensating angles) into an old Sandvik card scraper and raised all the profiles by hand onto stock that I had gotten as close as possible with the tablesaw. It took a while, but in the end worked out well. I still had that old scraper twenty years later when my shop burned down, and I found it, twisted and charred, in the ashes.

Here's the table. I seem to recall it was about 16"W x 24"L x 10"H overall. The top frame had through-tenoned miters at the corners, and the gallery parts were joined with a mix of through and blind tenons. The top panel was supported, like the original, by two cross pieces --shallow beams really -- that spanned between the side rails into through mortises, capped on the outside by rectangular rosewood plugs.

The end result was darker than the original, but otherwise indistinguishable.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg

faq
Frequently Asked Questions on using forums

Oneway Manufacturing - Superor Design, Legendary Quality

Shop Amazon using this affiliate link, and Amazon will pay WoodCentral a commission on anything you buy. The commission is used in paying the costs of maintaining this site, and the price you pay on Amazon is NOT affected by using this link.

Messages Hand Tools Turning Classifieds Feedback SANDBOX
Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any meanswithout the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 274, COOPERSBURG, PA 18036