WC logo MENU
View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Next Msg
Hand Tools
Re: Chisel mallets *PIC*
Posted By Leo Cuellar
Date Saturday, 26 March 2022, at 1:44 a.m.

Leo Cuellar
I didn't really think about it much, because I haven't done much mallet work lately. Most often I use the potato masher for chopping mortices and carving or anytime I need a little power behind a cut. I've only had problems with striking when my attention wanders. I haven't done any dovetailing, but have chopped some pretty serious mortises with these.

The dark one in this picture I found at an antique store labeled as a "potato masher" probably Cuban Mahogany from the weight, grain and age. The other two I made from salvaged Hickory. The big one is a bit clumsy for close work, on smaller projects, but I like the size of the handle. One day I'll reduce the diameter and fill it full of lead shot.

The smaller one has seen some hard use on steel hollow punches and rivet setters and such but has held up very well despite the abuse. The finish is several coats of tung oil.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Next Msg

faq
Frequently Asked Questions on using forums

Oneway Manufacturing - Superor Design, Legendary Quality

Messages Hand Tools Turning Classifieds Feedback SANDBOX
Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any meanswithout the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 274, COOPERSBURG, PA 18036