WC logo MENU
View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg
Feedback
Re: picture Question
Posted By Peter
Date Friday, 27 May 2022, at 11:41 a.m.

In Response To picture Question (William Tindall)

As of now, the file handling of uploaded images is basically none. Whatever you upload is stored with no manipulation or resizing. It puts the image, exactly as you uploaded it, in a specified folder, renaming it with a randomly generated name so it will not conflict with another image that may have been uploaded with the same name (possible).

Most of our cameras now take photos at resolutions and sizes that far exceed what is needed for displaying on a web page. Great if you want to blow them up into a poster, or need to zoom in on them for fine detail, but just overkill for plopping into a forum post. I want to modify how image uploads are handled by having the server resize them into something more "web friendly" and will try to do that when I find time.

Another approach I could take is to write a script that runs periodically to resize all the images that have been uploaded to some specified parameters. That may be a better approach because a) it is easier to do and will not effect any forum code, and b) it will resize existing uploaded images to a size more reasonable for web display. 

What I don't want to do it put the onus on posters to worry about what I think should be a function of the website. Almost all modern sites (Facebook, Twitter, et al) let you upload images in whatever size or format, and they take care of everything else. 

As for resizing images yourself for web display, this is current and informative:

https://northwestmediacollective.com/blog/best-image-size-for-websites/

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

View ThreadPost ResponseReturn to IndexRead Prev MsgRead Next Msg

faq
Frequently Asked Questions on using forums

Shop Amazon using this affiliate link, and Amazon will pay WoodCentral a commission on anything you buy. The commission is used in paying the costs of maintaining this site, and the price you pay on Amazon is NOT affected by using this link.

Messages Hand Tools Turning Classifieds Feedback SANDBOX
Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any meanswithout the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 274, COOPERSBURG, PA 18036