Features Forums w h t b c o f
View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>
Off Topic
Intermittent shock from a fluorescent light *PIC*
Posted By gwold
Date Saturday, 7 January 2023, at 1:33 p.m.

I've got a rather nice, vintage Luxo work light--solid, stable, giving plenty of light for tasks.  It's got a T9 circline fluorescent tube around an incandescent (now LED) bulb.  The two circuits are separately wired.  The issue is, it'll intermittently shock me when I touch it.  Before I go to rewiring it to go all-LED, I'd like to diagnose the issue.

I've pulled it apart enough to confirm that neither of the two wirings' insulation have worn through at the joints.  My next guess is that maybe the ballast (transformer?) is the issue.


It looks like there was some paper insulation around it, but that's largely deteriorated.

Could the short be due to that ballast, touching the metal divider or base box?

 
  

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
Message
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

 

Please read Terms of Use before posting

View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>

Sponsors

Lee Valley
Dedicated to finding and developing the best tools in the industry.
WoodCraft
One of the nation's oldest and largest suppliers of quality woodworking tools and supplies.
Woodfinder
Support Us

Advertise Here

Support Us Advertise Terms Privacy DMCA Help Home

Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WoodCentral · POB 274 · Coopersburg PA 18036 USA