Features Forums 101 W H T C O F
Post ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>
Hand Tools
speaking of - magnacut and 10V
Posted By DW
Date Friday, 9 December 2022, at 12:30 p.m.

both of these steels are available now in plane irons, though not in unlimited sizes for the latter. 

Since I know they probably don't have anything practical to offer me, but I can't resist checking to make sure, I bought one of each...

....I'm surprised that I have not seen either really discussed anywhere with any merit or legitimate analysis. I have done some preliminary of each. They leave me baffled, but so did AEB-L. you'd think the finest grain you could find with good wear resistance would lead to the sharpest feel in wood, but it doesn't actually materialize. 

and 10V has harder, smaller and less volume of carbides than V11 and you'd think that would make it feel sharper and finer, but for some reason after the initial very fine "diamond" edge wears off, steels have a very noticeable signature as they dull.

If you plane mildly figured wood with a group of irons, they all feel about the same on the first stroke, but by 200 feet, they start to feel different. 

Nonetheless, I guess the techie revolution in woodworking is over because there's just not enough interest in tools in general to follow it. Or at least the typical buyer is no longer the spec sheet type, as I doubt LV and LN are selling any fewer tools than they did a while ago. 

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

Please read Terms of Use before posting

Post ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>

Sponsors

Lee Valley
Dedicated to finding and developing the best tools in the industry.
WoodCraft
One of the nation's oldest and largest suppliers of quality woodworking tools and supplies.
Woodfinder
Support Us

Advertise Here

Support Us Advertise Terms Privacy DMCA Help Home

Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WoodCentral · POB 274 · Coopersburg PA 18036 USA