Features Forums w h t b c o f
View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>
Hand Tools
Box #3 (replacement) *PIC*
Posted By Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Date Sunday, 4 September 2022, at 9:45 a.m.
Here is the third box replacement. It is all Hard Maple - case, all drawer parts (with the sole exception of the Ebony drawer pull). This made it a little more challenging as the wood is hard and can be brittle, and any errors will be evident immediately. There is no compression for dovetails, and all need to fix exactly. But the result is spectacular - although I was working with offcuts, I chose clear sections with just a little interesting, subtle figure. This is a box for my son's Godmother, and I was seeking a feminine touch. No adornments.

Case construction, as will the other boxes, is mitred through dovetails. The case is 175mm wide x 165mm deep x 70mm high. 10mm thick.

It is only when you open the drawer that you find strong figure ...

Finally, all three boxes. The Walnut box is for my son's Godfather, and the Makore box (with the Aboriginal message) is for his In-laws.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Messages In This Thread
  • Box #3 (replacement) *PIC* -- Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia) -- Sunday, 4 September 2022, at 9:45 a.m.

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

Please read Terms of Use before posting

View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>

Sponsors

Lee Valley
Dedicated to finding and developing the best tools in the industry.
WoodCraft
One of the nation's oldest and largest suppliers of quality woodworking tools and supplies.
Woodfinder
Support Us

Advertise Here

Support Us Advertise Terms Privacy DMCA Help Home

Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WoodCentral · POB 274 · Coopersburg PA 18036 USA