Originally I planned to make 3 boxes, one each for the godparents, and a ring box for the wedding ceremony. Then Lynndy, my dear wife, suggested making one for my soon-to-be daughter-in-law's parents (who are great people with whom we get on so well). So, now there are four boxes.

I decided to build this box next. And this time to incorporate Aboriginal symbols, as this was not the case with the previous box, where the figure was too nice to disturb.

The wood for the box is West African Macore, which is wonderful to work with, and has amazing chatoyance. It is perfect for this project as it has little figure or, rather subtle figure.

Here are the milled boards laid out for joining. The aim here has been to create waterfall sides to the top, both left, right and drawer front.

Once again, the construction is a mitred through dovetail case with a dovetailed drawer. Overall dimensions are 185mm (7 1/4") wide x 150mm (6") deep and 63mm (2 1/2") high. The case sides are 10mm thick (a little over 3/8").

The completed box ...

Waterfall on one side ...

With drawer extended (a nice piston fit) ...

Half-blind dovetails at front, through dovetails at the rear ...

The drawer sides are 6mm (1/4") Tasmanian Oak. No slips on this drawer. Instead, the 3mm (1/8") solid Macore drawer bottom is attached in a 3mm groove ...

It is free to expand towards the rear, and captured by a round-headed screw in a slot ...

Now let's took at the symbols of the top of the box ...

The two circles (three circles within each other) represent a group, in this case, we have two families. The connecting lines, with circles, reveal the journey each taken by two people to join and bring together these two families.

So, two down and another in the making ...

Regards from Perth

Derek