Features Forums 101 W H T C O F
View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>
Hand Tools
Axe bevel
Posted By Joe in a Cleveland suburb
Date Thursday, 21 July 2022, at 4:39 p.m.

Would it be possible to change the bevel of my early 70's boy scout hatchet using a stationary belt sander?

I've been trying to use it as a carving axe.  Kinda teaching myself a little about spoon carving.  The bevel on my scout axe is, for lack of better term, fat.  It's meant for splitting wood, not carving.

Not sure yet if I want to destroy my old axe.  If someone says it's a bad idea to try to change the bevel then I'd have justification to buy one.  I found a cheap one at Green Haven forge I'd be willing to buy.

https://greenhavenforge.com/collections/axes/products/the-essential-craft-axe

Lastly, what is a good method to tighten the axe head on the handle?  Did I read on here once about soaking it in BLO?

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
  • Axe bevel -- Joe in a Cleveland suburb -- Thursday, 21 July 2022, at 4:39 p.m.
    • Re: Axe bevel -- Joe Rogers, North Eastern West Virginia -- Thursday, 21 July 2022, at 5:37 p.m.
    • Re: Axe bevel -- William Duffield -- Friday, 22 July 2022, at 2:20 a.m.
    • Re: Axe bevel -- Bill Tindall -- Friday, 22 July 2022, at 7:00 a.m.
    • Re: Axe bevel -- TomD -- Tuesday, 2 August 2022, at 12:36 a.m.

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

Please read Terms of Use before posting

View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>

Sponsors

Lee Valley
Dedicated to finding and developing the best tools in the industry.
WoodCraft
One of the nation's oldest and largest suppliers of quality woodworking tools and supplies.
Woodfinder
Support Us

Advertise Here

Support Us Advertise Terms Privacy DMCA Help Home

Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WoodCentral · POB 274 · Coopersburg PA 18036 USA