Features Forums w h t b c o f
View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>
Hand Tools
kanna *PIC*
Posted By eliot feldman
Date Thursday, 3 February 2022, at 12:18 p.m.

eliot feldman

Does anyone read Japanese on this site? About 10 years ago I made a kanna from scratch -- the larger one in the photo. It works beautifully. I also bought one from someone (whom I can't remember) on this site. He told me it was made by a master and would sell it to me well below what it would usually be worth because it had a twist in it. So he was honest about it and, his being from this site, I trusted him to not cheat me (too much!) because it still wasn't all that cheap. Anyway, it's been this long since I really started to work on it, and I just finished. It came in the box shown in the photo. I am interested in what it says on the box. It did indeed have a significant twist, which I planned out and then sanded flat on 120 grit sandpaper glued to a length of plate glass. I sharpened the blade, but it wouldn't go all the way in properly. So I spent a fair amount of time removing tinny bits of wood from the bed using the end of a file onto which I brought up a burr -- sort of the way you do on a card scrapper. You have to use carbon marking to see just where to scrape away material. It now works about the same as the one I made. I was hopping that it would be even better -- because it's supposed to have been made by a master. Any thoughts about what I might try next with it, especially based on any clues based on what it says on the box?

Messages In This Thread
  • kanna *PIC* -- eliot feldman -- Thursday, 3 February 2022, at 12:18 p.m.

Post Response

Your Name
Your E-Mail Address
Subject
If you'd like to have the option of deleting your post later, please provide a password (CASE SENSITIVE!):
Password
 If you'd like e-mail notification of responses, please check this box
Accept Terms of Service

Please read Terms of Use before posting

View ThreadPost ResponseRETURN TO INDEX<PreviousNext>

Sponsors

Lee Valley
Dedicated to finding and developing the best tools in the industry.
WoodCraft
One of the nation's oldest and largest suppliers of quality woodworking tools and supplies.
Woodfinder
Support Us

Advertise Here

Support Us Advertise Terms Privacy DMCA Help Home

Copyright © 1998-2022 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WoodCentral · POB 274 · Coopersburg PA 18036 USA