Turning

Subject:
Impregnating/stabilizing blanks questions

Barry Irby
I am asking this on the Turning Forum because I figure somebody has used either a pressure pot or a vacuum pot to stabilize a blank.

I am asking table out of some Red Oak slabs I have air dried. They have lots of defects from checking to insects to knots. My experience is that if you use slow setting very thin epoxy it leaks out of the form, runs everywhere and fails to find all the voids and defects. The stuff is expensive. I spend hours over days filling in the latest batch or defects I have just discovered. I can spend half an hour pouring epoxy into a defect, flooding the surface only to come back and find it soaked into parts unknown and I start over. I have watched endless videos on the process and the ones that admit to the tedium seem to do the same thing. Some of them seem to flood the piece in the form, both on top and underneath and wait a week. Did I mention this stuff is expensive?

So, anyone tried using a vacuum Chamber? I was thinking of lining the form with polyethylene, flooding it, turning the poly into a vacuum bag and sucking the air out, hopefully drawing the epoxy into all the internal voids. What do you think?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081